Monday, November 21, 2005

What the hell happened to America?


That's what they're going to be asking in the not too distant future, although most people of average intelligence are asking already. Yeah , okay. Sure. This is still "America" but clearly something fundemental has changed. Ever since 9/11 I haven't been feeling all that free. Granted, G.W.Bush made it known, everything has changed since that terrible event in 2001- though what I have come to belive he actually meant was something more like- WE ARE ABOUT TO CHANGE EVERYTHING- SO GET WITH THE (NEW) PROGRAM- AND SHUT THE HELL UP!- or something like that.

Everyone should remember where they were when the towers fell, even if they were totally wasted, which, I may have been, I'm not sure. I know I was in L.A. house-sitting for a friend, I had been up all night working on a piece of music that I just sort of pulled out of the air. It didn't have any lyrics on the morning of 9/11, but it was cool, and I was tired, so I went to lie down with the radio on KPFK (Check out www.kpfk.org for all the news they don't give you on FOX NEWS) Exhausted I almost fell asleep instantly- almost.

On the radio they were talking about how a plane had hit one of the Trade Towers. I nearly missed the whole thing completely due to my sleep deprived state. For a moment I was pretty certain that I was just dreaming...I mean, if a plane had really hit one of the towers, then it'd be on like every television station in the country, right?

So I got up, went back out to the living room, flipped on the tube, and- HOLY CRAP!! I had got up in time to see the second plane hit, at which point it was clear to anyone with a central nervous system that this was definitely not an accident. Being the liberal-lefty that I am the first thing I said was, "What did we do?" I don't know exactly what I meant by that, but hey, I hadn't slept for like twenty-four hours, and I sure as shit wasn't going to sleep now.

Like nearly everyone else, I just stared in horror for a period of time. Then I popped a tape into the VCR, because...well, because.

At some point I know I called my wife, who was about a hundred miles away. Honestly, I don't know what we said to each other, but really, what does one say?

I thought about my buddy whose house I was watching. He was somwhere in the Anza-Borrego wilderness camping. "He doesn't even know this has happened" I thought. Imagine that.

No comments: